The concept of Industry 4.0 was born a decade ago. Since then, it has been frequently discussed, sometimes without really understanding what is hiding behind these terms… We will try to explain the concept and how Mobapi technology is participating in this movement.
Welcome to the era of Industry 4.0
A new industrial revolution
Also known by the terms “Industry of the future,” “Connected factory,” or “Smart Factory”, Industry 4.0 corresponds to the 4th industrial revolution, after the appearance of the steam engine (1784), production lines (1870), and automation (1969).
This revolution puts new technologies at the heart of industrial processes with the goal of offering safer and higher-performing production and reducing energy consumption and labor costs.
According to a McKinsey study, industry 4.0 will allow companies to save 630 billion dollars between now and 2025.
Two worlds are finally meeting: the digital innovations of the 21st century are integrating into the world of industrial machines to supplement existing processes.
Innovations adapted to your factory’s needs
There has been no shortage of digital innovations in the last 30 years, but this decade is distinguished by considerable advances which are designing the future of the industry. These new technologies, adapted to current industrial problems, aim to make the factory more intelligent and better-connected.
- Robotics have revamped the activities of workers by allowing them to avoid repetitive tasks without added value,
- 3D printing can be used to created complex and personalized parts for each client,
- Remote maintenance is facilitated by augmented reality,
- Connected devices bring the connectivity that machines were lacking,
- Big Data allows us to organize and analyze all collected data in order to optimize preventative maintenance and move toward predictive maintenance,
- Artificial intelligence has added value to all these technologies, allowing them to move further and faster.
Tomorrow’s factory will be an autonomous production system integrating electronics and software, associated to sensors capable of communicating. Production will finally be flexible, efficient, and ecological. It can remain competitive when faced with international competition.
The modernization of industry as we know it implies the inclusion of several variables, both human and technical, that are necessary to understand.