We talk a lot about remote monitoring in the industrial field. This is the solution to adopt when you want to digitize your production tools and start monitoring from a distance. But how to choose the solution that best fits your needs? We’ve put together a breakdown of your options.
1) Hosting your data
Your data is valuable, and provides a record of the working conditions of your production tools. It goes without saying that you will have to choose a solution that meets the requirements of your IT services. Hosting the data yourself is not necessarily the answer. Infrastructure costs are heavy and require strong security and database expertise.
When hosting your industrial data in the cloud, we believe it’s important to consider the following 3 factors:
- Data transfers must be permanently secure, thanks to at least an SSL certificate. If your needs are limited to monitoring, the system must guarantee read-only access to production data.
- Data recovery: you remain the owner of the transmitted data and the selected tool must provide archiving features or interconnection functionality with other information system tools. What options are offered by the provider to let you transfer your data?
- Where is your data hosted? Can I be assured that my data will be wiped at the end of the contract?
2/ Choosing a data tracking interface
If you choose a remote monitoring system, you need to be able to easily access your data remotely. But do you have to do it from a computer? Is the interface mobile-friendly? What about tablets?
We advise you to choose an option that will let you track your production data wherever you are, and always securely, even on mobile.
User experience is also crucial for the adoption of the solution by your teams: a clear interface, that’s fluid and easy to use will often make the difference.
3/ Data rate
An important point to consider: how often do you want to receive updates on the parameters being monitored? This may depend on both your production tool and the data processing platform. Can they be updated every hour or every 30 seconds? Obviously, the results would not be the same for you in terms of monitoring.
The main point is being able to choose the right fit for your business needs… Don’t be too greedy – the higher the rate of data recovery, the larger the storage, and those costs add up!
4/ Ease of installation
The digitization train has already been running for a while, and won’t wait for you. So to catch up, don’t pick a solution that will take a year to set up!
Agility is integral to the digital world. Rely on companies that specialize in data, who know how to install operational tools quickly and can adapt them to your needs. Non-intrusive solutions are faster to implement.
5/ What options will help with data tracking?
We know that you know your job, and that you know what data to follow closely on a daily basis. But digitization can come with a lot of complementary tools that will help save you time…
- Is it possible to export dashboards and graphs for reuse in presentations and/or other spreadsheets?
- Are there separate user access levels?
- Can I set thresholds? Send alerts?
- Will I be able to do predictive maintenance?
Pour N’hésitez pas à nous contacter pour échanger sur vos besoins en remote monitoring.